People seeking an ear reshaping (otoplasty) plastic surgery procedure should focus primarily on gathering all relevant information about the surgery to make an enlightened decision.
During the initial consultation, the patient should openly ask questions and express concerns to the surgeon. Ideally, they should enlist all questions that they may have and carry this list to the consultation appointment.
A dedicated surgeon will address all the patient’s questions in-depth as well as highlight the benefits and limitations of the otoplasty. Accomplished board certified plastic surgeons at the Aesthetic Center for Plastic Surgery (ACPS) provide otoplasty to patients in Houston, Texas, TX, and surrounding locations in the majestic Lone Star State.
Pertinent Questions to Ask
- Am I a suitable candidate for otoplasty?
- What ear reshaping technique would you recommend for my unique needs?
- Will you perform the surgery under general or local anesthesia?
- Where will you place the incisions? Will it lead to scarring in the future?
- What pre-operative preparation do I need to undertake for the surgery?
- Is the recovery phase extended and painful?
- What risks and side effects does this procedure involve?
- Can I view ear reshaping surgery before and after images?
- In case of an emergency during or after the surgery, is your practice equipped to handle it?
- Upon completion of the surgery, can the ear appearance be altered again?
The surgeon will offer the patient extensive guidelines on preparing for the procedure after establishing them as a candidate for otoplasty. The patient will have to follow instructions such as quitting smoking and discontinuing specific medications for some days.
Scarring after the Procedure
The surgeon will place the incisions in hidden locations such as the ear fold where the ear links to the head (at the back), or inside the ear folds. This causes minimal conspicuous scarring. However, this scarring can differ between patients based on the extent of the surgery.
The Otoplasty Procedure
In case a child undergoes this cosmetic surgery procedure, the surgeon may use ear splints to develop new ear contours as the ear cartilage will be soft. In case of children, the surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia.
Conversely, an adult’s cartilage will be firm and the ear reshaping surgery may involve removal or repositioning of the cartilage after placing a tiny incision in the ear.
The Day of the Surgery
In general, ear reshaping surgery is an outpatient procedure. The patient should arrange for a responsible person to drive them home following the surgery. The time taken to complete the procedure is usually between one to two hours.
Questions to Ask about the Sticker Price
- What are the approximate financial stipulations of otoplasty at your practice?
- Are the prices for the anesthesiologist and surgical facility included in the estimate?
- What are the costs involved in post-operative requirements such as prescription drugs and medical exams?
Judicious cosmetic surgeons at the ACPS receive patients from Houston, Texas, TX, and other towns and cities in this part of the country for ear surgery.
For more information about The Aesthetic Center for Plastic Surgery (ACPS) physicians and the cosmetic surgery treatments and procedures they perform please click here or call us at 713.799.9999. We have offices in and around Houston, Texas.