Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, USA, 2003-2007
Bachelor of Sciences with Honors
Majors: Biological Sciences, Spanish
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA, 2007-2012
National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, 2010-2011
Clinical Research Training Program
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, 2012-present
Department of Surgery, Division of Plastic Surgery
Plastic Surgery Integrated Residency
Experience & Professional Memberships
1999-2003 Research Associate, Agricultural Bioengineering, United States Department of Agriculture, New Orleans, LA
2003-2007 Research Associate, Molecular Genetics, Baton Rouge, LA
2007-2010 Research Associate, Genetic basis of arrhythmias, Nashville, TN
2007-2012 Member, American Medical Student Association
2007-2012 Member, Student National Medical Association
2007-2012 MCAT and DAT instructor, Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions
2007-2011 Clinic Coordinator (2007-2008), Patient Health Educator (2008-2009), Interpreter (2007-2011), Shade Tree Clinic, Nashville, TN
2008-2011 Nashville Birthing Project
2010-2011 National Institutes of Health Clinical Research Training Program, Research Fellow
2011-pres Special Volunteer, NIH, Bethesda, MD
2010-2012 Interest Group Chair, Careers in Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
2012-present American Medical Association, Member
2012-present American Society of Plastic Surgery, Resident subscriber
2013-present American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Resident subscriber
2015-present University of Kentucky Graduate Medical Education House Staff
2012-present Lexington Medical Society, Member
2016-present American Society of Plastic Surgery Legislative Advocacy Committee
2016-present Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open Peer Reviewer
2016-present PLoS ONE Peer Reviewer
2002 International Science and Engineering Fair Finalist
2003-2007 Honors College, Louisiana State University
2005 Barry Goldwater Scholar Award
2007 LSU Medalist (Given to graduates with 4.0 GPA on course studies)
2007-2012 Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Merit Scholarship
2007 Molecular Foundations of Medicine Double Helix Society
2008 American Heart Association Fellowship Award
2010 NIH Research Fellowship Award
2015 Recipient, PSF National Endowment for Plastic Surgery Grant
2016 University of Kentucky Resident Teaching Award for Excellence in Medical Student Education
2017 University of Kentucky Resident Teaching Award for Excellence in Medical Student Education
2017 Recipient, PSF National Endowment for Plastic Surgery Grant
2017 Kentucky Society of Plastic Surgeons 2nd place presentation
2018 Lexington Medical Society Essay Contest, 1st place
- Jambunathan N, Martinez AW, Robert EC, Agochukwu NB, Ibos ME, Dugas SL, Donze D. Multiple Bromodomain Genes Are Involved in Restricting the Spread of Heterochromatic Silencing at the Saccharomyces cerevisiae HMR-tRNA Boundary. Genetics. 2005: 171: 913-922
- Watanabe H, Yang T, Chopra N, Atack T, Hwang H, Leake B, Agochukwu NB, Kannankeril P, Kupershmidt S, Knollman B, Roden D. D1275N SCN5A Mutation Causes Dilated Cardiomyopathy and Arrhythmia: Mechanisms Revealed in Mice but Absent by Heterologous Expression. Circulation Research. 2008;103:1497
- Agochukwu NB, Doherty ES, Muenke M (December 2010) in: GeneReviews at GeneTests: Medical Genetics Information Resource [database online]. Copyright, University of Washington, Seattle, 1997-2010. Available at http://www.genetests.org or http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1415/.
- Agochukwu NB, Pineda-Alvarez DE, Keaton AA, Warren-Mora N, Raam MS, Kamat A, Chandrasekharappa SC, Solomon BD. Analysis of FOXF1 and the FOX gene cluster in patients with VACTERL association. European Journal of Medical Genetics. 2011;54:323-328.
- Solomon BD, Pineda-Alvarez DE, Hadley DW, Keaton AA, Agochukwu NB , Raam MS, Carlson-Donohoe HE, Blessing B, Kamat A, Chandrasekharappa SC. De novo deletion of chromosome 20q13.33 in a patient with tracheo-esophageal fistula, cardiac and genitourinary anomalies implicates GTPBP5 as a candidate gene. Birth Defects Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology. 2011;91:862-865.
- Agochukwu NB, Solomon BD, Zajaczkowska-Kielska A, Lyons CJ, Pollock T, Singhal A, Van Allen MI, Muenke M.Genetic Environmental Interaction in a Unique Case of Muenke Syndrome with Intracranial Hypertension. Child’s Nervous System. 2011; 27:2183-6.
- Agochukwu NB, Solomon BD, Doherty ES, Muenke M. The Oral and Palatal Manifestations of Muenke Syndrome (FGFR3 Craniosynostosis). J Craniofac Surg. 2012;23:664-8
- Agochukwu NB, Solomon BD, Benson LJ, Muenke M. Talocalcaneal Coalition in Muenke Syndrome: Report of a Case, Review of the Literature in FGFR-Related Craniosynostoses, and Consideration of Mechanism. Am J Med Genet A. 2013 Mar;161A4:453-60
- Agochukwu NB, Solomon BD, Muenke M. The Impact of genetics on the diagnosis and clinical management of syndromic craniosynostoses. Childs Nervous System. Childs Nerv Syst. 2012;28:1447-1463
- Nah HD, Koyama E, Agochukwu NB, Bartlett SP, Muenke M. Phenotype profile of a genetic mouse model for Muenke syndrome. Childs Nervous System. Childs Nerv Syst. 2012;28:1483-1493.
- Agochukwu NB, Solomon BD, Gropman AL, Muenke M. Epilepsy in Muenke syndrome: FGFR3-related craniosynostosis. Pediatr Neurol. 2012 ;47:355-361.
- Agochukwu NB, Solomon BD, Muenke M. Hearing loss in syndromic craniosynostoses: introduction and consideration of mechanisms. Am J Audiol. 2014;23:135-141.
- Agochukwu NB, Solomon BD, Muenke M. Hearing loss in syndromic craniosynostoses: Otologic manifestations and clinical findings. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2014;78:2037-2047
- Yarnell CM, Addissie YA, Hadley DW, Guillen Sacoto MJ, Agochukwu NB, Hart RA, Wiggs EA, Platte P, Paelecke Y, Collmann H, Schweitzer T, Kruszka P, Muenke M. Executive Function and Adaptive Behavior in Muenke Syndrome. J Pediatr. 2015;167:428-434
- Agochukwu NB, Yan B, Stewart D. Isolated, Non-Syndromic Symptomatic Pancarpal coalition: Report of a rare case and review of the literature. J Hand Surg Am. 2016:41:e375-e377.
- Agochukwu NB, Wong L. Diabetic Mastopathy: A Systematic Review of Management of a Rare Breast Disease. Ann Plast Surg. 2017;78:471-475.
- Nneamaka B Agochukwu, Chong Huang, Mingjun Zhao, Patrick McGrath, Guoqiang Yu, Lesley Wong. A Novel Noncontact Optical Method for Assessing Blood Flow in Mastectomy Skin Flaps:A Prospective Study in Patients Undergoing Implant Based Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:26-31.
- Chong Huang, Minjun Zhao, Daniel Irwin, Nneamaka B Agochukwu, Lesley Wong, Guoqiang Yu. “Noncontact speckle contrast diffuse correlation tomography of tissue blood flow distribution”. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging. 2017;36:2068-2076.
- Agochukwu NB, Wong L, Liau JY. Dermal Regenerative Template as a Cost Effective Alternative for Complex Scalp Reconstruction: A Cohort Study and Comprehensive Review of the Literature. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2018; 29: e73-377.
- Agochukwu NB, Wang D, Maus J, Stewart D. The Utilization of the MatrixWAVE System for Attaining Maxillomandibular Fixation in the Patient with the Edentulous Mandible. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bjoms.2018.03.004
- Agochukwu N, Bonaroti A, Beck S, Liau JY. Laparoscopic Harvest of the Rectus Abdominis Muscle for Perineal Reconstruction. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Global Open. 2017; 5:e1581.
- Agochukwu N, Liau JY. Debunking the Myth of A-cigarettes: a Case of Free Flap Compromise Due to E-cigarette Use Within the First 24 hours. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. 2017;S1748-6815:30395-9.
- Agochukwu N, Boustany A, Rinker B. Late Breast Implant Infections: A Delayed MRSA Infection from Hematogenous Spread in an Intravenous Drug User. European Journal of Plastic Surgery. 2017:10.1007/s00238-017-1362-3
- Boustany A, Elmaraghi S, Agochukwu N, Cloyd B, Rinker B. A Breast Prosthesis Infection Update: Two-year incidence, risk factors, and management at single institution. Indian Journal of Plastic Surgery. Accepted, in press.
- Agochukwu N. How I Found My Rhythm When the Music Stopped. Kentucky Doc. Sping Issue.
- Agochukwu-Nwubah N, Wetzel M, Vasconez H. Aesthetic Considerations in Cleft Rhinoplasty. Manuscript submitted to Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- Agochukwu-Nwubah, N. A piece of my mind: What do you do when the music stops? Manuscript submitted to JAMA.
- Agochukwu-Nwubah N, Maus J, Wetzel M, Rinker B. Style 410 Anatomic Implants: A Comparison of Outcomes and Aesthetic Results of Compared to Smooth Round Silicone Implants. Manuscrupt in preparation for submission to the Aesthetic Surgery Journal.
- Agochukwu NB, Solomon BD, Muenke M. Cognitive Function, Development, and Hearing Loss in Muenke Syndrome. 2011. Oral Presentation. Medical Genetics Branch Meeting. National Institutes of Health. Bethesda, MD
- Agochukwu NB, Solomon BD, Muenke M. Cognitive Function, Development, and Hearing Loss in Muenke Syndrome. 2011. Oral Presentation. Site Visit. National Institutes of Health. Bethesda, MD.
- Agochukwu NB, Wong L, Stewart D, Liau JY. Reconstruction of Scalp Defects with Dermal Regenerative Template: A Comparative Study. Oral Presentation. 57th annual Southeastern Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons Meeting. June 2014. Bahamas.
- Agochukwu NB, Wong L, Stewart D, Liau JY. Reconstruction of Scalp Defects with Dermal Regenerative Template: A Comparative Study. Oral Presentation. University of Kentucky Research Colloquium. October 2014. Lexington, KY.
- Agochukwu NB, Huang C, Zhao M, Yu G, Wong L. A novel noncontact optical method for assessing blood flow in mastectomy skin flaps: A prospective study in patients undergoing prosthetic based reconstruction. Oral Presentation. 59th Annual Meeting of the Southeastern Society of Plastic Surgeons. June 2016. Orlando, FL.
- Agochukwu NB, Huang C, Zhao M, Yu G, Wong L. A novel noncontact optical method for assessing blood flow in mastectomy skin flaps: A prospective study in patients undergoing prosthetic based reconstruction. Oral Presentation. Kentucky Society of Plastic Surgeons Meeting. October 2016. Louisville, KY.
- Agochukwu NB, Huang C, Zhao M, Yu G, Wong L .3D Imaging of Tissue Blood Flow in Mastectomy Skin Flaps. Oral Presentation. American Society of Plastic Surgeons Meeting. October 2016. Orlando, FL.
- Agochukwu NB, Bonaroti A, Beck S, Liau J. Laparoscopic Harvest of the Rectus Abdominis for Perineal Reconstruction. Kentucky Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting. August 2017. Louisville, KY.
- Agochukwu NB, Huang C, Zhao M, Yu G, Wong L. 3D Imaging of Tissue Blood Flow in Mastectomy Skin Flaps. American Society of Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting. October 2017. Orlando, FL.
- Agochukwu N, Vasconez H. A Twenty-Year Experience with the Treatment of Cleft Lip Nasal Deformity. 11th World Cleft Lip/Palate & Craniofacial Congress. November 2017. Wuhan, China.
- Agochukwu NB, Huang C, Zhao M, Yu G, Wong L .3D Imaging of Tissue Blood Flow in Mastectomy Skin Flaps. Oral Presentation. Wisconsin Surgical Club. April 2018. Lexington, KY
- Agochukwu NB, Vasconez HC. Aesthetic Considerations in Cleft Rhinoplasty. April 2018 (Upcoming). Resident and Fellows Forum. New York, NY
- Agochukwu NB, Huang C, Zhao M, Yu G, Wong L .3D Imaging of Tissue Blood Flow in Mastectomy Skin Flaps. Oral Presentation. University of Kentucky Research Colloquium. April 2018. Lexington, KY
- Gabriel Del Corral, Navanjun Grewal, Nneamaka B. Agochukwu, Kevin Sexton, J. Bradford Hill, Megan Vucovich, Jeffrey Vogel, and J. Jason Wendel. Circumvertical Breast Reduction with An Intraoperative-Sequenced Horizontal Component. Poster Presentation. American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Meeting. May 2012. Vancouver, CA.
- Mingjun Zhao, Chong Huang, Nneamaka Agochukwu, Ahmed Bahrani, Siavash Mazdeyasna, Lesley Wong, Guoqiang Yu. Non-Contact Diffuse Correlation Spectroscopy Assessment of Tissue Blood Flow in the Prediction of Mastectomy Skin Flap Necrosis. Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting. October 2017. Phoenix, AZ
- Siavesh Mazdeyasna, Chong Huand, Nick McGregor, Mingjun Zhao, Ahmed Bahrani, Nneamaka Agochukwu, Lesley Wong, Guoqiang Yu. A Photometric Stereo Technique to Acquire Tissue Surface Geometry for 3D Imaging of Blood Flow Distribution in Mastectomy Skin Flaps. Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting. October 2017. Phoenix, AZ
Grants/Research Support/Ongoing/Funded Research Support
National Endowment for Plastic Surgery Grant 07/2017 – present
Plastic Surgery Foundation
Title: “Intraoperative Imaging of Mastectomy Skin Flaps
Description: 3D imaging of mastectomy skin flaps
National Endowment for Plastic Surgery Grant 07/01/2015-07/2017
Plastic Surgery Foundation
Title: “Noncontact Diffuse Optical Assessment of Mastectomy Skin Flaps “
Description: Measure blood flow variations of mastectomy skin flaps in the perioperative period to predict necrosis
National Institutes of Health 06/2010-present
Title: “Cognitive Function, Development and Hearing in Patients with Muenke syndrome”
Description: A Natural History Study elucidating the phenotype of Muenke syndrome – FGFR3-related craniosynostosis
Past Research Support
Human Frontier Science Program (RGY11/2002) 08/2003-05/2007
National Science Foundation (MCB-0342113)
Study of Chromatin structure and gene expression using Saccaromyces cerevisiae as a model system
American Heart Association Grant 06/2008-06/2009
“Genetic Basis of Arrhythmias”
Test susceptibility of a mouse model of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy to arrhythmias